dontate now

Contact
Join Email List

Facebook  Become a Fan on Facebook
twitter  Follow Us on Twitter

329 West 18th Street Suite #610
Chicago, Illinois 60616
(312) 243-1808
info@chicagofilmarchives.org

Search Collections

Old Normandy House: The Last Days & Nights

Bookmark and Share
Film Identifier: F.
Run Time
0h 19m 37s
Format
16mm
Color
Color
Sound
Silent
Date Produced
1959
Abstract
Footage depicting the demolition of the beloved Normandy House Restaurant in 1959, which was located on Chicago’s near north side. The restaurant occupied a corner structure in a row of five apartment buildings, at the southern end of Tower Court - better known as Tower Place and North Michigan Ave. - opposite the historic water tower. 
 
The entirety of the Tower Court housing structure, as well as Normandy House itself (along with the other four buildings in the area) were razed to make room for the construction of a large hotel. 
 
The Normandy House was well known for its beautifully painted murals, designed by famed Chicago-based artist Edgar Miller. Miller also designed the front door, made stained glass windows, wood sculptures, ceramic plaques, and even wall paper for the restaurant. He was assisted by his brother, Frank Miller, in the endeavor. 
 
The demolition seen here was performed by the Harvey Wrecking Company, which was also based in Chicago.

More information about Edgar Miller and Normandy House can be found here: https://restaurant-ingthroughhistory.com/2012/06/17/restaurants-and-artists-normandy-house/
Form
Short
Related Place
Chicago (represents)